The META foundation is calling for artists, creatives, or collectives looking to take up studio space in one of the largest buildings in South Africa. August House Studios, also known as the artists’ playground, celebrates more than 15 years as a well-established, local, and international contemporary African artists community, within walking distance from the Maboneng, Arts on Main district. The available studios are at End Street Studios, the designated residency studios within the August House building.
- The residency provides for a studio space and furnished accommodation within August House.
- The residency does NOT provide for transport, living, medical or material costs.
- The residency apartment will be available after 30 April 2022. Should applicants choose to come before this time, they may have to find alternative accommodations.
- Electricity within the accommodation space is for applicants’ own accounts and is managed through a pre-paid meter.
- There is uncapped internet in the building.
- A deposit is required 2 months in advance of attending or unless negotiated with the META foundation Director. This is to ensure that the artist space is reserved.
- A parking space will be provided.
- The artist is expected to contribute to the cost of the program, albeit a substantially reduced amount from renting space in August House.
- The residency period is 3 months long.
- Applications will be assessed by a body of working professionals and successful applicants will be notified of their success within an 8 week period after submission.
- During the residency, the artists are welcome to participate in any activities or events taking place at August House.
The residency takes place at August House, located at 76 End Street, Doornfontein, Johannesburg.