9 MONTH PART-TIME CONSULTING CONTRACT (40% TIME), RENEWABLE WITHIN A 3 YEAR FRAMEWORK (2020 – 2022)
Arts and cultural professionals in East Africa can apply for an opportunity to collaborate with Pro Helvetia Johannesburg in researching artistic networks and developing new partnerships and programming in the region.
The Johannesburg office of Pro Helvetia, the Swiss Arts Council, is looking to collaborate with an arts and cultural professional in researching artistic networks and developing new partnerships and programming in East Africa. The Arts Council seeks to work with partners in the region in the development of meaningful and mutually interesting exchanges and collaborations with the Swiss arts scene and to open up new possibilities for Swiss contemporary arts to be presented in the region. Working closely with the Pro Helvetia Johannesburg team, the contracted professional will act as a locally based facilitator of partnership and connection with the Swiss arts field. They will develop a modest initial portfolio of strategic projects and collaborations in key urban centres across East Africa during the course of the period 2021-2022.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- The identification and mapping of relevant networks and partners in East Africa for engagement with the Swiss arts scene, with consideration also given to already existing relationships (venues, festivals, biennales, museums, independent spaces, collectives, cultural/creative businesses, other platforms).
- The planning and facilitation of an initial programme of online exchanges and research trips, involving relevant partners in the region, and from Switzerland in both directions.
- The conceptualising and planning of an initial set of joint projects and collaborations, involving partners from Switzerland and the region.
- Technical support to partners in the region seeking to access Pro Helvetia funding to support the presentation of Swiss work in the region.
- Input into the adjudication of proposals submitted by artists and partners from the region.
- Supporting the communication of Pro Helvetia’s mandate and work more generally in the region.
APPLICANTS SHOULD HAVE THE FOLLOWING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Wide-ranging knowledge of the cultural field in East Africa, coupled with specific disciplinary experience.
- Familiarity with the international (incl. European) arts environment and strong cross-cultural sensibilities.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Substantial experience in the execution and management of arts and cultural projects, including financial administration (as a freelance cultural manager and/or within an organizational/institutional context).
- Fluency and professional competence in spoken and written English.
- A relevant undergraduate qualification, or equivalent qualification/professional experience.
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills and a hands-on work approach.
- Knowledge and experience of the Swiss arts scene specifically will be an advantage but is not a requirement.
- The successful applicant will be engaged within the framework of a consultancy contract with the payment of a monthly retainer, subject to the satisfactory implementation of plans against agreed results, deadlines and targets.
Inquiries or questions of clarification about the role may be directed to Joseph Gaylard at email@example.com.