Post: Programme Coordinator
Contract: Fixed term, 6 months (with the possibility to extend)
Hours: Full time, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (and weekends/evenings when required)
Location: Bag Factory, Johannesburg
Closing date: Sunday 23 February 2020 (midnight)
Commencement: As soon as possible
This is a unique opportunity to join the Bag Factory during a time of transition and to be a key player in realising one of the most exciting upcoming projects at the Bag Factory.
We are looking to recruit an experienced Programme Coordinator with curatorial experience and knowledge to support the delivery of the Bag Factory’s creative programming, assist in developing excellent relationships with all stakeholders, and help deliver the Bag Factory’s strategic project plans.
Whether you’re acting as the team’s first point of contact providing information and advice to both internal and external stakeholders; providing project support, including undertaking desk research, developing scoping documents, writing copy and drafting presentations; or organising international travel for residency artists, coordinating and maximising travel itineraries; your days will be busy and interesting. You will undertake numerous administrative tasks including setting up and minuting meetings, scanning and filing, and working with budgets and financial software.
A proactive approach to the management of multiple and changing priorities is essential in this role. In addition, you will have proven relevant administrative experience, preferably gained within an organisation of equivalent complexity to the Bag Factory. Your flexible and proactive approach to work and strong organisational skills will mean you can prioritise a varied workload and work accurately under pressure to meet strict deadlines. An excellent communicator, both in person and in writing, you’ll be confident dealing with individuals at the highest level, handling confidential and sensitive information.
The Bag Factory is a non-profit contemporary visual art organisation in Newtown, Johannesburg. We provide studio space to a cross-generational group of Johannesburg-based artists. We also host a prestigious international artists’ residency and awards programme, alongside regular exhibitions that showcase new work by emerging artists to the wider public. We are affiliated with the international Triangle Network.
All our programmes are accompanied by events and audience engagement projects that encourage greater understanding of contemporary visual art and stimulate interaction between artists and the local community.
With a pioneering 30-year history of providing a supportive infrastructure for artists, Bag Factory is unique in combining art-making with cultural debate and art exhibitions, thereby creating a fertile international environment for experimentation, innovation and cultural dialogue between creatives in South Africa and the rest of the world. Bag Factory’s crucial role for the arts in South Africa is confirmed by our long list of celebrated alumni who have gone on to develop international and prize-winning careers.
In 2019, the Bag Factory secured its future by purchasing the building it has called home for almost 30 years. The organisation is now embarking on a capital campaign to ensure the sustainability of the organisation by improving its building and programme facilities.
Reporting to the Director and working closely with Bag Factory artists, staff and the community, the Programme Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the delivery of programming at the Bag Factory while also supporting the Director in realising the organisation’s renewed vision for a sustainable future.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director to develop and create exciting, inspiring visual art programmes.
- Ensure programmes are implemented within budget and the timelines set out by funders.
- Accurately manage and report on associated programme funding.
- Prepare written progress reports on the implementation of programmes and their successful execution with the aim of using these to report to the Board and relevant funders.
- Support the Director with researching potential funding sources, developing fundraising strategies and delivering fundraising events for the sustainability of the Bag Factory.
- Monitor the application process, selection and participation of artists in the Bag Factory’s various programmes; communicate with applicants and keep a record of applications.
- Drive the identification, attraction and selection of high-quality artists to the Bag Factory.
- Provide administrative support to international visiting artists, assisting with travel arrangements, visa applications, developing itineraries and facilitating their residencies while at the Bag Factory.
- Oversee the maintenance of artists’ alumni records and relations.
- Coordinate operations and technical production of exhibitions taking place in the Bag Factory gallery space as well as off-site.
- Liaise with gallery visitors and guests.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Bag Factory, including communication with artists, contractors, and visitors.
Who we’re looking for:
To be successful in this role, it would be ideal for you to have the following skills and education:
- BA Hons/MA degree in a contemporary art-related field (Art History, Visual Studies, Curatorial Studies, Fine Art etc).
- Good working knowledge of contemporary art practice.
- Proven experience in administration.
- Proficiency and experience in appropriate computer packages, i.e. MS Packages, Excel, and Design programmes.
- Understanding of business principles.
- Experience in information and communication management.
- Experience in writing fundraising proposals and budget management.
- Proven experience in the organisation of contemporary art projects and interpretive programmes.
- Proven practical experience installing exhibitions.
- Exceptional knowledge of the local and national contemporary art landscape is a must able to work flexible hours during events with evenings and weekends as needed to oversee programmes and participate in other gallery activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent project planning skills and effective, efficient time management and organisational skills.
- Proactive with the ability and confidence to use initiative.
- High attention to detail and ability to think creatively.
- Good interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Professional, reliable and works well with a wide range of people.
- Able to respond positively to pressure and take a flexible approach to change.
- Highly developed presentation skills.
- Curious and globally-minded with an enthusiastic nature.