Report to: Publisher: Children & YA Division: Children’s & Young Adult Editorial
Penguin Random House is looking a qualified and dynamic individual to provide publishing, editorial and administrative support to the Publisher and editorial team. We are a dynamic, industry-leading book publisher looking for creative, communicative, hard-working talent to join our team in our Midrand office. We offer market-related cost to company packages and a flexible, progressive environment that aims to support those who are prepared for a challenge.
- Upload all front list titles onto Libros in consultation with Publisher, Manager Editor, Senior Editor and Education / Editorial Coordinator
- Maintain and update submission schedules, planning for and co-chairing progress meetings with production team
- Prepare, maintain, and submit weekly progress report to supporting divisions (Marketing & Publicity, Sales, Production etc.)
- Liaise with editorial and production teams in the printing and reprinting of titles
- Update reprints and/or new editions, incorporating approved changes, reflecting new Printer changes where necessary, and sending updated files to Production for printing
- Maintain and oversee the filing system in compliance with internal team
- Use the TI sheets to compile and timeously submit Meta Data for front list titles
- Assist in compiling book indexes and in drawing up contents and organizing text
- Prepare and update reprint TIs in support of Local Trade Sub
- Preparing contracts and contract summaries; scanning, filing, and emailing authors’ copies of countersigned contracts
- Maintain Author database, updating as new titles are published and as address and other changes come in, and capturing new authors with each new contract
- Maintain an electronic database of hi-res book front covers, spreads, images, author pictures and TIs on Book Images
- Supply ‘Sales, Publicity and Marketing’ team with material as required
- Oversee the dispatch of complimentary library and author copies of books
- Scanning images and/or illustrations for designers
- Author care: assist all authors with queries and direct/assist them accordingly
- Assist Publisher in preparation of spreadsheets for relevant monthly meetings
- Market research and other general internet research
- Acknowledging receipt of unsolicited manuscripts and handling related correspondence and queries – in consultation with the Managing Editor and Senior Editor
- Updating New/Rejected proposal excel spreadsheet list
- General administrative support – correspondence, telephone and email queries, filing, collecting, and distributing post, etc.
The ideal candidate has:
- Strong interpersonal skills, and well developed written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- A meticulous eye for detail with respect to text
- The ability to function under pressure.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- The ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Post matric (minimum matric with exemption) qualification.
Prospective Penguins must have the following skills
- Excellent at working across teams in a cross-functional setup and in a fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding organisational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- An ability to work individually or in a team environment. Skills and knowledge required
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and InDesign.
- Experience in Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft PowerPoint, Pastel TMS/Bookmaster would be an advantage.
- Strong administrative background.
- Previous experience in an administrative role, preferably in the publishing industry. Company culture & environment
- Our employees are all intelligent, dynamic, fun-loving, customer-focused problem-solvers, with the shared aim to be the best in the industry
- We are book lovers and love sharing this passion with others
- We offer an open and all-inclusive culture championing equity and diversity
- Our company is a supportive environment, particularly with a focus on the development of Psychological Safety within a post-pandemic context
- We believe in leadership through transparency and the recognition of performance excellence
- We focus on fostering employee development through the tenets of creativity, entrepreneurship, and empowerment