This is a freelance position (20 hrs/week) up until end of December 2021. The salary is based on the applicable remuneration scheme of the Goethe-Institut South Africa. Position’s funding is subject to final donor’s approval.
Scope of work – The Goethe-Institut in South Africa is launching a new pop-up space and a pan-African residency programme in 2021 in cooperation with VANSA. The new space will offer opportunities for experimentation, networking and for artistic collaboration and serve as a place for discussions and exchange of creative processes.
The aim is to create a place for the cultural scenes of the city, where artistic works can be shown, discourse can take place or simply time can be spend.
In connection with the new location, the Goethe-Institut plans to develop a pan-African residency programme for artists from the continent.
The project manager ensures a successful implementation of the project and the activities. This includes the following responsibilities:
- conceptualisation, implementation and monitoring of the cultural programme in the space and residency programme
- establish a network with local partners and leading all communication with them
- coordintae the management and monitoring of prescribed project budgets according to Goethe-Institut guidelines
- prepare, write and submit reports to management (financial and narrative)
- Support contracting and billing processes for partners and service providers
- coordinate the implementation of relevant visibility measures
- Educated to graduate level or higher
- Solid track record of project management (minimum 4 years) in the cultural sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and German
- Strong knowledge of the visual arts scene in South Africa and Africa
- Experience working on big-scale arts programmes
- Experience in administration, especially of cultural projects
- Highly proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of innovative PR measures
- In-depth understanding of operational characteristics, services and activities of arts development projects
- Ability to work independently and willingness to travel
- Permission to work in South Africa