The Robert Sobukwe Trust is completing the construction of the Sobukwe Museum & Learning Centre in Sobukwe’s birthplace, uMasizakhe, Graaff-Reinet, Eastern Cape. Its purpose –
- Commemorate and provide public access to Sobukwe’s ideals, his thoughts, life and times and those of the communities he lived in.
- Provide a provocative, inspirational destination for local, national and international visitors.
- Provides a platform for youth to act as caretakers of the cultural and natural environment and as creators of their own futures.
- And, in the spirit of Sobukwe, provides the community with a resource that builds community pride and inspires the quest for knowledge and life-long intellectual curiosity.
The Sobukwe Trust invites artists and curators to submit design concepts that commemorate Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe’s legacy. The call is for a mixed media visual arts re-representation and reimaging of Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe’s legacy.
The design concepts should consider the following:
- The depth, breadth, and complexity of Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe’s imprint on the South African National Liberation struggle.
- Conversations, debates and reflections on contemporary economic, political, social, and cultural development – shedding light on what South Africa and Africa has been and still has the potential to be.
- The diverse archive of Sobukwe and his contemporaries, traversing the intersection of family, nation, the continent and the world.
The exhibits will be installed in multi-functional spaces and the design concepts should take this factor into consideration.