Artists are invited to apply for a 3 month, self-funded residency at Greatmore Studios Trust. The residency is from the period 1 August – 31 October 2019.
Greatmore Studios Trust provides a studio environment and training in which artists can work freely and develop their creative abilities and refine their professional skills in order to build a professional practice and to establish a career in the creative sector. It also provides a supportive environment for peer learning and the exchange of ideas and skills among the Greatmore Art Community. Artists from various communities and backgrounds are encouraged to grow their practice in a personal studio space and also to contribute to the collective projects and programs hosted at Greatmore Studios.
About the studio:
The studio, measuring approx. 5.3m² x 4.4m² is priced at R880 per month (for South African Artists) and R4000 per month (for international artists), and includes VAT and service charges.
Studios are accessible 7 days a week.
There is Wi-Fi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen, bathroom facilities, computer lab, and courtyard.
Accommodation at 5 Alfred Street House:
- A 4 Bedroom house, with shared facilities (bathroom, lounge, kitchen with cooking facilities, beautifully maintained garden, outdoor shower) for R4750 per room, /pm.
- Occupants are responsible for electricity use through a prepaid meter.
- A laundry washing machine is available for use.
- The house is situated in Observatory.
Eligibility and Selection:
- Application is open to South African and International artists.
The artist must be:
- A full time, practicing visual artist who will regularly use their studio space
- Willing to be involved in and support Greatmore’s projects and events
- Available to attend all artist’ lunches, and willing to interact in a communal setting.
All applicants to kindly note that studio rental, accommodation, art materials, exhibition cost, transport, and self – catering will be at the artist’s own cost.
Please include the following as your email subject heading: Application for Self-Funded Residency