Sibikwa Arts Centre is looking for 13 enthusiastic and dedicated artists in Gauteng, to train and participate in its Artists in Schools programme.
Artists in all creative forms (music, dance, drama and visual arts) are encouraged to apply.
Funded by the Department of Sports, Arts and Culture, Sibikwa has been running the Artists in Schools programme in Gauteng, for the past 6 years. The programme focuses on enhancing the teaching of the Creative Arts curriculum for Grades 4 – 9.
As part of the programme:
- Artists are provided CATHSSETA accredited training in facilitating learning in arts and culture modules and programmes (unit standard: 1158487), focusing on creative strategies for planning and reflection, and techniques for facilitating and documenting the experience of implementing the CAPS curriculum in schools.
- Artists are assigned to a school, to work with the Creative Arts teacher and learners, for 3 and a half months, under the supervision of a CATHSSETA registered assessor.
- All the teaching facilitated by the Artists in Residence will culminate in a performing arts festival and visual arts exhibition at Sibikwa Arts Centre, giving the learners an opportunity to present the work that they have done during the programme.
Interested applicants must:
- Display a commitment to socially engaged creative practice
- Be open to work in all creative forms: Drama, Music, Dance, and Visual Arts
- Have two or three years of teaching experience in the arts
Selected candidates must be available to:
- Attend an induction meeting on 6 November 2019 at Sibikwa Arts Centre
- Complete the 3-week facilitation course in January 2020 at Sibikwa Arts Centre
- Work at a school from February until mid-May 2020
- Attend additional training workshops during the March school holidays, at Sibikwa Arts Centre