The Bag Factory is looking for Johannesburg-based contemporary visual artists to take up tenancy in one of our studios and become part of our community of artists.
Start date for tenancy: 1 October 2020
Minimum period of tenancy: 1 year
For artists based in Johannesburg (or in the process of relocating). Joint applications are also welcome for a maximum of two people per studio.
We currently have a tier 1 studio available for emerging or mid-career artists to rent from 1 October 2020.
Approx. 21 square meters – R 2,129 (incl VAT) for 1 person / or R 2,796 (incl VAT) for 2 artists sharing
Please note: These are 2019-20 rental prices. Rental increases for 2020 have been frozen due to the Coronavirus, and the next increase will take place on 1 January 2021.
Shortlisted applicants ONLY will be contacted by 18 September 2020 for a virtual interview. If you have not heard from us by this date please consider your application unsuccessful.
The artist(s) will be required to sign a License to Occupy Agreement and pay the first month’s rental and a deposit equal to one month’s rental by 28 September 2020.
The rental for tier 1 studios is subsidised by the Bag Factory, considering the affordability of studio rental for emerging and mid-career artists. In return, tier 1 artists are each required to provide 54 hours of service. These services include assisting with projects, exhibitions, or fundraising activities, or supporting visiting artists. Should the artist fail to fulfill their service during the period the artist will be billed pro rata per hour in line with their studio rental.
About the Studios:
- Studios are strictly non-residential and are accessible 7 days a week
- There is Wi-Fi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen
- Electricity and water are included in the rental price
- The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located on the border of the vibrant suburbs of Fordsburg and Newtown. We have been operating for more than 29 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds
- The studio space and its community strives for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation
Eligibility and Selection:
- Applications are open to emerging and mid-career artists based in Johannesburg (or in the process of relocating)
- An emerging artist is someone who will have specialized training in their field (not necessarily gained in an academic institution), who is at the beginning of their career, and who has created a modest independent body of work. The term emerging artist is often used for young and recently graduated from an art college, but can also apply to someone who has made a career change or recently decided to prioritize their art above everything else
- A mid-career artist is someone who may have completed a BA and/or MFA degree; and/or has created an independent body of work over a number of years and who has received regional or national recognition through publication or public presentation of his or her work
The artist must be:
- A full time practising ontemporary visual artist who will regularly use their studio
- Willing to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events
- Available to attend artists’ meetings, can interact in a communal setting
- The artist will be shortlisted and selected by the Bag Factory on the basis of their application