Job Title: Art Logistics Coordinator
Reporting to: Registrar
Duration: Fixed-Term 4 months
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a not-for-profit institution that exhibits, collects, preserves, and researches contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora; conceives and hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational, discursive and enriching programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and strives for access for all.
Reporting to the Registrar, this role is project specific with a focus on logistical support and coordination for an exhibition with an anticipated high volume of international shipment. The responsibilities will extend into the receival of artworks on site at the museum and support the processing of the artworks in terms of condition reporting, art handling and installation supervision.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL DUTIES
The fixed term contract for the position of Art Logistics Coordinator will be focused on support for a specific exhibition with key duties and responsibilities:
- Obtain information from lenders
- Assist with the drafting of loan agreements
- Populate information into the shipping log
- Use shipping log to co-ordinate with shipping agents
- Obtain quotes
- Book and monitor collections
- Assist with the courier of high value or fragile objects relating to the project
- Assist with transportation and lodging arrangements for traveling couriers
- Monitoring of artwork handling by the installation crews, and Production Assistants during installation and de-installation
- Support with the completion of condition reporting for all incoming and outgoing artworks and determine whether damage or deterioration to objects has occurred
- Complete the loan paperwork for the processing of all incoming and outgoing loan requests in consultation with the Registrar
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of an undergraduate degree, such as a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in art history, museum studies, cultural heritage studies, archaeology, visual culture, or an equivalent qualification.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in art logistics, specific focus on international shipments.
- Experience in art handling and preparation for a museum, gallery, university, art mover, or similar institution, or equivalent experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong administration and coordination skills, with a methodical approach and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to work independently and deliver work within the agreed timeframes
- Effective, level of complex problem-solving skills
- Flexible working when required
- Strong computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Office applications, email services and the internet as well as a willingness to learn new computer skills as required
- Attention to detail
- Teamwork with strong ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Trustworthiness and ethics
- Results orientation
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to learn
- Interpersonal engagements
- Analytical thinking
- Knowledge of international art shipping
- Knowledge of art collections, handling, and storage
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to achieving transformation and particularly welcomes applications from suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position. The Zeitz MOCAA Employment Equity plan and targets will be considered as part of the selection process.