A leading museum on the African continent, Wits Art Museum is home to an extraordinary collection of 12 000 historical and contemporary African artworks. WAM contributes to the university’s core mission through teaching and research in relation to exhibitions and collections. Open to the public weekly, with no entrance fee, WAM hosts 10-12 exhibitions per year accompanied by an interactive public programme with the intention of encouraging audiences to make their own connections and meanings, express their multiple views and voices, gain value as contributors to the space, and actively participate in the dialogue that surrounds the Arts of Africa.
Tours liaison administrator
University Support Staff (AD13)
This position will suit applicants with a passion for arts education, good verbal communications and organisational skills. The incumbent will conduct all the necessary administration required for school groups, public tours, outreach programmes, educator workshops and docent (museum guide) schedules that are essential to the museum’s tour programme. This will result in a growth in group engagement and lead to a better appreciation for the museum and its collections.
- Coordinating all WAM tours and outreach programmes.
- Enhancing existing connections between WAM and school educators and NGOs as well as developing new relationships.
- Coordinating the schedule for museum docents (volunteer guides).
- A minimum of a Matric certificate
- 1 to 2 years work experience in the field of Museums/Fine Art/Art History/ Education/ Tourism/ Heritage Studies or the relevant equivalent.
- Some experience with budgeting and report writing and competency in MS Office particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Attention to detail, systematic working habits, perseverance, patience
- A friendly, and confident telephone manner.
- The ability to speak a minimum of 2 African languages in addition to English.
As a committed member of staff the successful candidate will also be expected to attend after-hours programming at the museum.
Part-time (50%), 3 year, contracted post beginning with a 6 month probation. This post is sponsored by Merrill Lynch (SA) as part of a 3 year contract supporting the Wits Art Museum Education Programme. Hours: 08h30 – 12h30.
This position is based in Johannesburg, Gauteng.