A leading museum on the African continent, Wits Art Museum is home to an extraordinary collection of 15 000 historical, modern and contemporary African artworks. Open to the public Tuesday to Saturday, 10h00 – 16h00, with no entrance fee, WAM hosts 10-12 exhibitions per year. Each exhibition is accompanied by an interactive tours programme with the intention of encouraging audiences of all ages to make their own connections and meanings, express their multiple views and voices, gain value as contributors to the space, and actively participate in the dialogue that surrounds the Arts of Africa.
This position will suit applicants with a passion for arts education, good verbal communications and organisational skills. The incumbent will conduct all the necessary administration required for school groups, public tours, outreach programmes, educator workshops and docent (museum guide) schedules that are essential to the museum’s tour programme. This will result in a growth in group engagement and lead to a better appreciation for the museum and its collections.
- Keep up to speed with own research on current WAM exhibitions in order to give quality tours.
- Coordinate all WAM tours and outreach programmes.
- Enhancing existing connections between WAM and school educators and NGOs as well as developing new relationships.
- Coordinating the schedule for museum docents (volunteer guides).
- Perform administrative and general assistance on all WAM programmes and events.
- Keep to mutually agreed upon time-lines so that deadlines are met.
- A minimum of a Matric certificate
- 1 to 2 years work experience in the field of Museums/Fine Art/Art History/ Education/ Tourism/ Heritage Studies or the relevant equivalent.
- Some experience with budgeting and report writing.
- Competency in MS Office particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Attention to detail, systematic working habits, perseverance, patience.
- A friendly, and confident telephone manner.
- The ability to speak a minimum of 2 African languages in addition to English.
As a committed member of staff the successful candidate will also be expected to attend after-hours programming at the museum.
Part-time (50%), 2 year, contracted post beginning with a 6 month probation. This post is sponsored by Merrill Lynch (SA) as part of a contract supporting the Wits Art Museum Education Programme. Hours: 08h30 – 12h30.
This position is based in Johannesburg, Gauteng.