TURBINE ART FAIR 2021 – APPLICATIONS
TAF 21 – AN ARCADE ART FAIR
Turbine Art Fair presents TAF ARCADE, a new way to experience and relish in art and culture during the pandemic. TAF ARCADE is a hybrid fair of online viewing rooms, and a smaller fair in Illovo with selected highlighted and featured projects.
The 2021 programme themed Evergreen, will showcase a selection of art, craft and design exhibitions by South African and Southern African galleries, collectives, art dealers, creative project spaces, as well as featured specially curated exhibitions and will showcase an exhibitor highlights exhibition in March with the TAF Arcade Fair taking place from 22-25 July 2021.
Evergreen: having an enduring freshness/ retaining greenness and freshness or success. After one of the most challenging years globally, we still find ourselves in the midst of a global pandemic that seems to be staying. While we have lost lives and income, we have all had to find new ways to hold on and survive. Our humanity remains evergreen, our success lies in our ability to adapt with our sense of humanity, with love and kindness, in our compassion for each other. We are continuously inspired by South Africans, especially the artists, creatives and gallerists who strive to support and strengthen each other.
In 2021 we are celebrating and acknowledging our local creative visionaries and the evergreen love & support of the collectors, patrons and audiences. While we may not know how the year will unfold, we hope to bring inspiration, joy and hope to our audiences, artists and galleries. We are dedicated to supporting and nurturing the local creative economy through our Collect Africa initiative which highlights and encourages the support of young, emerging and mid-career artists and galleries through marketing and specially curated exhibitions.
TAF invites applications from galleries, artist collectives, project spaces, print and artists’ studios, secondary market dealers, auction houses, craft & heritage makers. Independent artists may apply to special projects.
TAF ARCADE – Application Categories:
- SUBLIME – Immersive Multimedia Experiences:
An opportunity for South African artists to push the boundaries of their practice by creating a one of a kind, bold, impactful and inspiring art environment never before experienced in SA. Through SUBLIME TAF aims to change the way audiences understand and engage with art. TAF is invites proposals for immersive multimedia installations by South African artists. Proposals should consider the theme of Evergreen and explore new ways of engaging with art.
- SCULPT: an exhibition showcasing a selection of contemporary site-specific sculptural works by artists from Southern Africa. Galleries, collectives & independent artists may apply to this section.
- Galleries: This is the core section of the fair, aimed at young and smaller galleries, predominantly exhibiting new work by emerging and established artists.
- Masters & The Secondary Market: The masters section highlights artists who have and continue to be showcased & exhibited within the contemporary art landscape. This section features exhibitions from auction houses, independent secondary dealers and art consultants.
- Editions: Editions is focused on master printmaking and photography studios and galleries specializing in print based and edition work.
- Collectives & Project Spaces: Collectives and Project Spaces showcases the importance of spaces committed and dedicated to the support & development of artists careers. Artists’ studios, artists collectives and organizations are invited to apply to this section.
- Publications: TAF aims to create a space for critical thinking and art writing. Publications, art and creative writers, journalists may apply to submit essays, reviews & or texts. New work may also be submitted later for the fair.
- TAF Emporium: TAF Emporium will feature a curated selection of work by young craft and heritage makers from Southern Africa. This specially curated selection will also showcase the points where art, design and craft interact, exhibiting collaborations between contemporary artists and designers.